Easy Layered Mexican Pizza

layered mexican pizza recipe

Pin It

I tried an experiment in the kitchen this week and the results were definitely worth sharing.  It was one of those meals that you were already craving the leftovers as you were cleaning up the kitchen. 😉

I named it Layered Mexican Pizza, but you could also call it Mexican Lasagna. Take your pick! Either way, it only takes a handful of ingredients and  is a real quick dinner fix!

making taco meet with La Victoria sauce

Start out by making taco meat, however you like to do so.  I love simple, so I cover my browned and drained ground beef with La Victoria Red Sauce and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

preparing mexican pizzas

While you are waiting on the taco meat, layer two greased pie plates with flour tortillas. I used Trader Joe’s Organic Homemade Flour Tortillas – YUM.

spreading refried beans for mexican layered casserole

Next spread a layer of refried beans on the tortillas. I used canned, but this homemade recipe for refried beans looks great and is a more frugal solution.

ground beef mexican casserole pizza

Next layer the taco meat on top of the beans,

layered mexican casserole recipe

and then cover with a layer of shredded cheese.  Repeat layers again and then cover the top with a flour tortilla.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes and you have a family friendly dinner in under a half an hour!

Easy Cheesy. Mexican Feasty!

What’s your favorite Mexican go to meal?

11 Responses to “Easy Layered Mexican Pizza”

1. Helen
    March 5, 2012 at 8:17 am #

I wonder how some black beans would go with this recipe – might be even more yummy! I am definitely going to try this recipe – thanks for posting!

• QuatroMama
      March 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Definitely worth a try! I thought about trying corn as well… Let me know if you try it!

2. Crystal
    March 5, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I’m going to try this! I have a slow cooker Taco Pie that is wonderful — our exchange student requests it weekly! P.S. I sent it to the e-mail address you said….hopefully it worked this time?

• QuatroMama
      March 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

That sounds awesome too! I DID get the email – yay! I’ll work on them this week…sound good? Sorry for the major delay!

3. I made a taco-sagna the other night and is pretty much the same idea! Love simple recipes. 🙂
    Melanie Edwards Ella Media & ModernMami.com recently posted.. Learning About Goals

4. Kim | At Home With Kim
    March 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Jen, this looks so good! Most Friday nights are Mexican night around my house… so I’m always looking for new recipes. I’ll definitely be making this soon — my gang will love it. 🙂
    Kim | At Home With Kim recently posted.. How To Start Blogging

5. Karen
    March 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY CRAZZZZZY TUESDAY NIGHT DINNER POSSIBLE! 🙂 I can’t wait to do this.

6. Erin
    March 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

I read this on Monday and thought about how yummy it sounded all day. When I got home I realized I have all the ingredients needed and whipped it up. Delicious, so simply and easy, almost no clean up either. My 2 year old had seconds, he loved it. Then yesterday when we got home he ask for mom taco pizza, which is what he called it. I had to laugh. A huge hit, thanks for sharing.

• QuatroMama
      March 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Oh yay! Happy to pass along a kid-friendly recipe! Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me about your experience!

7. oh amanda
    March 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I just ate dinner and reading this made me so hungry.
    oh amanda recently posted.. My Blog Story

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Menu Plan Monday: A Must-Have for a Crazy-Busy Week - January 21, 2013

[…] Rice (based on this fried rice but with sausage) Hubby’s Scrambled Omelettes with Hash Browns Easy Layered Mexican Pizza (but made with chicken) Homemade Pizza Broiled Fish, Pan-Fried Potatoes, Green Beans Canned Soup […]