Homemade Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Slice and Bake Cookies

homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

My mom used to make these incredible oatmeal cookies when I was growing up. I remember seeing the rolls of dough in the refrigerator and how quickly they would disappear after they were baked.

When I needed to bring 6 dozen cookies to a church lunch yesterday, I knew I had to get this recipe from her recipe stash. I added the chocolate chips for a little extra sweet, but you can also make these plain or with nuts.

What’s great about these cookies is you can make the dough ahead of time, and slice and bake them when you are ready. Also, this recipe makes plenty of cookies to share, which is perfect for this time of year for holiday parties, cookie swaps, and sharing with neighbors!

You’ll love the crispy outside and chewy inside to this classic oatmeal cookie as well!

Homemade Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Slice and Bake Cookies

Ingredients:

• 1 c. of shortening
  • 1 c. of brown sugar
  • 1 c. of granulated sugar
  • 2 well beaten eggs
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 3 c. oats
  • 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional or substitute 1/2 c. of nuts)

Directions:

1. Cream shortening and sugars until well blended.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla and beat together.
  3. In a separate bowl sift flour, soda, and salt.
  4. Combine the dry ingredients gradually into the sugar mixture.
  5. Add the oats and chocolate chips (or nuts) and use those muscles to stir well.
  6. Shape dough into rolls (about 3-4 rolls) and wrap in waxed paper.
  7. Chill for a minimum of 4 hours (up to a 2-3 days).
  8. Once dough has chilled, slice and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
  9. Eat one (or three) while they are still warm!

homemade oatmeal cookies slice and bake

What’s YOUR favorite cookie to bake this time of year?

(If you’re looking for another holiday favorite, I highly recommend these Andes Mint Cookies. They are also a great crowd pleaser!)

17 Responses to “Homemade Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Slice and Bake Cookies”

1. Gail
    December 5, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Jen,
    Is Crisco or butter considered shortening?
    Gail
    Annapolis, MD

• QuatroMama
      December 5, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I used Crisco for consistency, since it’s a rolled cookie, but I think you can often substitute butter. Thanks, Gail!

2. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect
    December 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

WHY would I add nuts if I can add chocolate instead??? 🙂

• QuatroMama
      December 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Excellent point. I knew I liked you, Mary!

3. Emma Davis
    December 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Your recipe is a little different than the one that I have used, but I think that yours is better, and I intend to use yours soon.

4. Jennifer
    December 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Oatmeal is our FAVORITE! We will be making these for sure!! ;o)

5. Susan McCurdy
    December 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

I’ll bet your mom’s fingertips added thier own sweetness. She is a gracious godly woman. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will add it to my recipe stash, too.

6. Vanessa @FrenchFoodieMom
    December 5, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

I love your picture with the giant jug of milk! That’s what I love with oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Great suggestion on the slice and bake. I like to prescoop and freeze cookie dough for quick and easy afterschool snacks.

My fave cookie this time of year is white chocolate chip cherry cookies. A little different and so festive.

7. Sue
    December 6, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I have a silly question. How thick should the slices be? Thanks. These sound great. I love the fact I can make the dough ahead of time too.

• QuatroMama
      December 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Sue, about a 1/4-1/2 in. thick. should do the trick!

8. Miranda @ A ThankFULL Heart
    December 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

We do a yearly Christmas cookie drive at our church and we make plates of cookies for needy/grieving families. I’m definitely bringing these 🙂 – thanks for the recipe!

9. Just Shireen
    December 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm #

Guess what I’m making to night! No go on, guess. You’ll never guess. Did you guess yet? I bet you’ll never guess.

• QuatroMama
      December 8, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Oh yay! Did they turn out good? Save me one, ours disappeared in no time…

• Just Shireen
        December 9, 2011 at 2:31 am #

SO GOOD! I used butter instead of shortening since it was all I had & I made them right away since I’m lazy & my handy scoop was begging to be used. Had to up the baking time to about 17 mins, but they are so tasty!

Now I just need to find some worthy folks to share them with. 🙂
        Just Shireen recently posted.. Hot Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats Or Why I Win At Pinterest

10. Miranda @ A ThankFULL Heart
    December 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

I made these yesterday and they are so delicious! I did get some odd/ball shaped cookies because I didn’t make perfect rolls but that just gave them character ;). I’m definitely using this recipe again!
    Miranda @ A ThankFULL Heart recently posted.. Thankful For Christmas Time

11. teresa
    December 24, 2011 at 12:29 am #

these sound yummy. my husband and i love oatmeal raisin cookies. my favorite oatmeal cookie story goes like this: when our 4 yr old grandson was visiting i asked him if he’d like an oatmeal cookie. he quickly replied “yes” and started eating one. then his face fell, he stopped chewing and said, “Grandma, I don’t like your chocolate chips.” we found out that oatmeal cookies at his house meant oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies. poor fellow – expecting chocolate and getting raisins. =)

can hardly believe he is now 22 years old!

12. Elizabeth L
    March 30, 2016 at 2:30 pm #

I am so happy to have found this recipe. My mom (who probably would be old enough to be your great-grandmother and me your grandmother) always made these cookies. Somewhere through the years the recipe was misplaced and now I feel that I found it again. Authenticity verified by the fact that it uses shortening (which makes a much better cookie) instead of butter. Cannot wait to try these!