Peace, Patience, Kindness, Self-Control…

Sick_Kids

We have had a rough time staying healthy this winter.  Starting back in the fall, we just seem to be sick more often than not, and are just ready for the warm, healing winds of spring to give us a break.  Many others around us have experienced a similar or worse winter with illness.  For us, on my 30th birthday, yet another round of stomach illness started this morning.  Since it is less than a week after the last one finished, it is difficult to remain encouraged.

It is pretty easy to start feeling sorry for yourself when you are dealing with sick children.  It wears on your patience and can really affect your attitude in negative ways.  I am writing this as a reminder for myself, and I wondered if others might need the same encouragement.

I believe that God is in control of all things, good and evil.  He is incapable of evil Himself, but even those evil, nasty things that happen in our lives are no surprise to Him.  He is capable of stopping them all, but chooses to allow the trials in our lives.  Romans 8 declares that God causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him.  Christians can bank on that promise in everything that comes our way.

Since I have that hope and recognize that this is not just “bad luck”, I look at my often poor attitude during these times and need the reminder that the standards for my behavior towards my children and my wife do not change due to circumstances.  I need to exhibit the fruits of the spirit ESPECIALLY during these times when my family needs me.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,  faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law…  If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. – Gal. 5:22-25

I am going to strive today to remain joyful, patiently attending to the needs of my family while taking the opportunity of illness to pour out my love on them and encourage them.  After all, while we were His enemies and giving him every reason to punish us, He chose instead to send His only son to suffer a horrible death on the cross. (Rom. 5:10)  We know nothing of that kind of suffering, and should seek to live like Christ.

Brad (The Not Yet Sick Dad)

16 Responses to “Peace, Patience, Kindness, Self-Control…”

1. Sarah Thompson
    February 21, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Thank you so much for this reminder. So sorry the boys are sick. Our girls have been sick since tuesday with colds and stomach flu. It seems never ending and it has been hard for me to have a good and loving Christ like attitude. Thanks for this encouragement. We will be praying for you and your boys! Hope the family is healthy and well soon.

2. Alicia @ Alicia's Homemaking
    February 21, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Feel better, 4tunate household!
    We have felt (to some degree) your pain…sick around 6+ times this winter season, with the stomach bug coming around twice! Yucky. Praying you’re all well soon and that He strengthens you with His love. 🙂

3. Julie
    February 21, 2011 at 10:24 am #

Oh we feel for you. We were hit only once this year (knock on wood).
    It can be hard to stay cheerful when you’re exhausted and maybe not feeling so well yourself.
    One thing is many adults, my husband included, remember when they were sick as kids and they have fond memories of Mom (or Dad) taking care of them and always being there for them. They remember feeling so loved and how Mom (or Dad) seemed to always know how to make them feel better and had endless patience.
    As kids we probably just didn’t see our parents crying in the shower from exhaustion or see them with their heads on the counter praying for God to give them strength.
    Your sons may not remember specifics, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
    Good luck and Spring is on it’s way. I just saw spring bulbs just barely breaking through the ground! Yea!

4. connie ashenfelter
    February 21, 2011 at 11:19 am #

What a bummer. Sickness is going around everywhere!
    BUT, I am so encouraged by your attitude( as always!)
    You are being such a good example of James 1:22 for your children, and your husband! It is so easy to KNOW the fruits of the spirit, but another thing ENTIRELY to DO what it says… thanks for the reminder for me today!
    Praying your family gets well fast.
    I have been giving my kids extra vitamin C and making sure they get their multi vitamins everyday and so far God has blessed us with wellness this year. Last year we had the stomach flu go through all 7 of us 3 times….I feel your pain!

5. Amanda
    February 21, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Beautiful and encouraging thoughts… thank you for sharing this! And I hope you are able to enjoy the ease of a healthy family soon!

6. Jenn Murray
    February 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

so many of my friends with little ones are fighting this year’s bug. I teach preschool and we are fighting coughs and fever there. I will pray for your boys and you as the caregivers. How blessed they are to have you to minister to them as you do so in the love of Christ. Hang in there!!
    ~Jenn Murray (great name, huh?)

7. Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations
    February 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Feel better! Yes, it is so easy to let those negative thoughts come in when kids are sick and cranky… then we get cranky and angry as Mommy’s! Thanks for this wonderful reminder to put on the Fruits of the Spirit! It needs to be His Strength working through us!

Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

8. Jen
    February 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Praying everyone feels better soon and the sickies will leave your household! Happy Birthday Brad! God bless you and your family!!!

9. Lauren Green
    February 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

That is an amazing outlook you have. I completely agree, but know how hard and trying that can be especially when things are going poorly. Thank you for sharing those verses and reminding others that may be having a difficult day that God is good. I will keep your family in my prayers for a quick recovery.

10. Jacqueline Presley
    February 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Great, encouraging post.

11. Kaia
    February 21, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

Praying for health in your family!!

February 21, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

So sorry you’re all sick again! We had a very hard winter last year – We had the flu 3x…every major holiday – Christmas, Easter, first day of summer vacation – Pink Eye that was passed around for MONTHS (thanksgiving till almost valentines day!), ear infection, croup, you name it…

thankfully this winter has been better…hoping you’re all healthy soon and have better days ahead!

Happy Birthday Brad!

13. Tracey
    February 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Excellent attitude, I can only hope I would have my heart and mind on such godly thoughts in the midst of all the bodily fluids you are facing! 😛

Hang in there 4tunate family…maybe some probiotics can boost your immune systems.

14. KS Dallas
    February 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Happy 30th birthday, Brad! I am sorry everyone is sick. Hopefully it will go away as quick as it came.

Patience is something everyone struggles with. When my daughter was little, I would have to constantly remind myself “she is only 3” (or 4 or 5). She was so smart that I would forget sometimes that she was just a little kid. I had to put myself in check for expecting too much from her.

I think as parents it is natural to struggle with patience. Mine is 15 1/2 now and it is still a weakness. We all want the best for our children. We just do what we can, take a deep breath, and pray like crazy we are on the right track.

15. gilloth
    February 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Wish you stregth to carry on in enduring and in faith and wish for the boys to feel better! Praying, Edina from Hungary, Europe

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Peace, Patience, Kindness, Self-Control… | 4tunate -- Topsy.com - February 21, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by craigbelieves and 4tunate, Miranda. Miranda said: Peace, Patience, Kindness, Self-Control {lessons in being grateful thru sick times} – http://bit.ly/iiS4mS […]