3 Ingredient Game Day Meatballs

image

Photo Credit

We’re still recovering from our Colts heartbreaker over the weekend, but at least we had good food while we watched with about 40 of our friends with higher-order multiples. We had an appetizer/dessert pitch-in. Talk about some great grazing food!

I took a crock pot of sweet and sour meatballs, very easy to make. You might be familiar with the 3 ingredient recipe of frozen meatballs, a jar of jelly, and chili sauce. However, have you tried substituting a can of cranberry sauce for the jelly?  It gives the meatballs a nice sweet tang. Even if you’re not a cranberry fan (like my man), you have to try it. You don’t taste the cranberry – cross my heart.

3 Ingredient Game Day Meatballs

• One 2 lb Bag of Frozen or Homemade Meatballs
  • One 14 oz Can of Jellied Cranberry Sauce
  • One 12 oz Bottle of Chili Sauce

Pour meatballs into a slow cooker. Combine chili sauce and cranberry sauce and pour over meatballs. Cook on Low for 4-6 hours, stirring periodically to cover meatballs evenly with the sauce.

This recipe is great for family pitch-ins, or an upcoming Super Bowl Party.  My boys devour these like candy!

What’s your favorite crowd-pleasing appetizer ?

signature_thumb7

16 Responses to “3 Ingredient Game Day Meatballs”

1. HoundDogMom (Sherri)
    January 11, 2011 at 9:21 am #

We make these all the time. They are just great for any cold winter weekend to snack on. Will have to try the cranberry on them. Also, we are sorry to hear about the Colts loss. Living in Illinois, everyone says we must be Bears fans. The Colts have always been a fan of mine since we spend so much time in Indy. Also, the new Lucas Stadium was built by the owners of Lucas Oil and their son races an NHRA Top Fuel car. Sherri

• QuatroMama
      January 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Sherri, we’re still a little heartbroken by our Colts. It was a tough year of injuries. Glad to hear you cheer them on in Illinois too!
      PS Try the cranberry, you won’t look back! =)

2. Elyse
    January 11, 2011 at 10:10 am #

Oh my goodness…those look so tastey. I’ve already had my breakfast and my mouth is watering. We are a dip family here so we do spinch dip, black eyed pea dip, corn dip, and veggie dip. All are pretty much tied in the likeness category.
    XO!

• QuatroMama
      January 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Awww Yeah! Dips are soooo good! xo back at ya, Elyse!

3. Allyson
    January 11, 2011 at 11:50 am #

The recipe looks perfect for a party I’m having on Saturday…what kind of chili sauce do you use?

• QuatroMama
      January 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

I used Heinz, but I’m sure you could substitute the store brand. Hope it is a crowd pleaser for you on Sat!

4. KS Dallas
    January 11, 2011 at 11:59 am #

We actually switched to the cranberry sauce last year and we use the same sauce with little smokies. We even add a little cranberry sauce to our chili. For those that haven’t tried it – definitely do – they are delicious!

• QuatroMama
      January 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Cranberry sauce and chili…that i must try! =) Thanks for sharing!

• KS Dallas
        January 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

My boyfriend makes it, but you only use like 1/4 or 1/3 of the can along with all the other ingredients you regularly use.

Also, if you make spaghetti – add a tablespoon or two of sugar. My dad told me that one. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. It just took away the bite the sauce can sometimes have. It does not make it sweet.

Krista

5. AmazingGreis
    January 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I am so trying out this recipe in the very near future. I love meatballs!!

Also, sorry about the game day loss….next year it’s on!!! Go Texans!

XOXO – hoping to see you, and your boys, in 2011

• QuatroMama
      January 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

Hopefully next year we’ll have more to razz each other about! Seeing you would pretty much make 2011. =)

6. JessieLeigh
    January 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

Mmm…. love the tang of cranberry! Sounds like a great secret ingredient to me! Having married a Hoosier and birthed two daughters there, Indiana- and the Colts- have a special place in my heart. Still, I am required to root for the Packers. It comes down through the blood… and the fact that my father is a stockholder in the team. ;) http://parentingthetiniestofmiracles.blogspot.com/2011/01/go-packers.html

7. WebSavvyMom
    January 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

–>I drop a block of velveeta into our tiny crockpot with a can of rotel and put out tortilla chip on gameday. Gone…. My other favorite dip is 3 green onions chopped fine and mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup and 8 oz of cream cheese. Mix well and chill. It’s great with veggies, pretzels and chips. Yum.

8. Sintia
    August 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Fantastic recipe!!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 3 Ingredient Game Day Meatballs | 4tunate -- Topsy.com - January 12, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by 4tunate, 4tunate. 4tunate said: 3 Ingredient Game Day Meatballs (with a secret ingredient)… http://bit.ly/eG0GVm #shhhh [...]

2. Land O'Moms – For Moms, By Moms Community – 31 Back to Basics Meal Solutions - February 19, 2014

[...] Three-Ingredient Slow-Cooked Meatballs [...]