Relevant or Irrelevant?

image

After 9 days of a nasty stomach virus hitting all of the males in our house with a vengeance, I thought I had successfully avoided the plague. I’ve been washing my hands like crazy, cleaning, taking natural supplements – but last night it hit me hard.  I’m feeling much better this morning, but I’m uncertain if it’s just a wave or this illness is being cut short by several days.

We are supposed to leave for the Relevant Conference in less than 24 hours, and everything is completely up in the air.  Bags are unpacked, errands are on hold, etc. while we wait on God to give us further direction.

I was talking with a lady in my Bible study yesterday about the trials of illness that have been upon us the last few weeks, and not understanding how I could glorify God through being so isolated.  She encouraged me that serving my family is glorifying God in a great way.

As I was processing this a little further last night, I was reminded that I can also glorify God through my prayers. I would love to take this “down time” to lift you up.  I know many of you have prayed for us in the past through the scary days of an extremely high risk pregnancy, the uncertainties of the NICU, through various illnesses and trials.  Some of you pray for us on a daily basis, which is an unbelievable gift to our family. What a true gift prayer can be for one another!

If you have a prayer request you would be comfortable leaving in the comment section, please feel welcome to do so, and if not you can email me at quatro_mama {at} yahoo {dot} com I would encourage you to pray for these requests as well. Brad and I will be praying through these today and in the days to come.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philipians 4: 6,7

signature

34 Responses to “Relevant or Irrelevant?”

1. Melissa
    October 20, 2010 at 11:17 am #

Girl, the enemy is on the prowl..I think God has big things in store for Relevant! Whether you come or not, I so appreciate your heart to pray for others. There is nothing like going before the throne of grace on behalf of others.
    If you would pray for my health…I was very ill and in the hospital last week but am feeling better and have the go ahead from doctor {and hubby} to go to Relevant. Praying that my health is stable while I am there.
    Praying for you guys as well!

2. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect
    October 20, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Okay, Jen, I’m totally taking you up on this! A part-time job – doing what I want to do, for a non-profit – was posted yesterday. And I’m applying for it. I’m not sure what to pray for, but a clear answer seems like a good idea! 🙂

Praying that you all get to Relevant!!!!

3. janet
    October 20, 2010 at 11:32 am #

All I can say is that you are a truly amazing woman. You are a constant inspiration. I hope that bug passes through your house soon!!

4. Marti
    October 20, 2010 at 11:47 am #

Thank you for seeking to use your time in a God-honoring way. I’ve been convicted about not doing that the past few days, and your post is yet another reminder from the Lord for me.

You spoke of serving your family, and that’s the topic of my prayer request. I feel I’ve been spread too thin to serve my family the way I should. My kids are young, and I know I’m missing valuable opportunities to point them to Christ because I am so busy with extra-curricular things. Good things, but too many things. But I need wisdom about which things to eliminate from my life.

Thanks!

5. Ashley
    October 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

What a blessing it is to pray for others. I’d invite you to pray with me for a family that works with my mother. This last year has been rough with illnesses, marital trials, etc plaguing their entire family. Last week one of the adult daughters became permantly blind in one eye. Her 3 month old son is being admitted to Riley this morning with questionable neuro difficulties. Last month their mother fell and hurt both a shoulder and knee. Another sister recently had a baby only to learn that her husband was not the man she married. Still, their faith is strong. It is my prayer that God continues to hold this family close to him and that each family member’s illnesses or concerns are lessened.

Thanks!

6. nicole green
    October 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

oh no! so sorry to hear you got hit with the sickness as well. 🙁 i’ll say a prayer you all get to feeling better and that you might make it to the conference!

i could use a little prayer. 🙂 my fiance and i are in the beginning stages of building our first home and one thing i realized yesterday we are both need strength when it comes to dealing with this entire process. we are excited/nervous/scared/thrilled .. our thoughts are all over the place! i think i’m more nervous about something falling through than anything! we both just need a clear head and we need to enjoy the process!

7. Not ready to share...
    October 20, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Praying for you, Jen, and your beautiful family… first and foremost, for your health! And also that the Lord will guide you to wherever you can best serve him this weekend and beyond.

You’ll likely know who I am from my email address (and I’m fine with that!), but I’m not ready to announce myself to the world. I’m asking for prayers because my father is an alcoholic. He had been a “recovering alcoholic” for over 20 years, but such is not the case now, as my brother, sister, and I recently learned. He is suicidal, angry, and full of excuses. Both he and my mother are more concerned about “looking perfect” than seeking true healing. My siblings and I are left, lost, on the sidelines. I am riddled with hurt and anger. I know I need to pray and ask for the prayers of others….

I am so appreciative of your giving and God-pleasing spirt… Thank you.

8. Ruth
    October 20, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

Direction for my husband. Answers to a situation with my mentally ill mother-in-law. Wisdom for decisions regarding job, etc, for me.

Thank you! May God’s will be done for you and your family re: Relevant.

9. BK
    October 20, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Wanted to email a prayer request, and I couldn’t get your email address to work?

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

So sorry. I posted the wrong address! Yahoo, not Gmail, but I think you figured out my mistake! Thank you.

10. oh amanda
    October 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

Jen, I don’t have a prayer request off hand but I just wanted you to know I love you! What a great post–and a sweet heart you have! 🙂

11. Laura
    October 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Oh no! I hope you guys feel better and are still able to take your trip this weekend! I’ve been to Hersey many times and I think all the chocolate and sweetness there could cure anything! 🙂

12. Devin
    October 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

Jen,

I have been praying for all of you, and I sure hope that this illness leaves and you are able to go. If not, however, I do feel quite confident that God has a perfect reason for keeping you home! How wonderful it is to be able to trust in Him, knowing that He always has our best intentions at heart.

My request is actually not for myself, but for a friend of mine. Her name is Leanne, and just yesterday, one of the identical twin girls she is carrying (*21 weeks) died. She will have to carry her daughter until the other baby is born. She is broken. I did a post on my blog with a link to her, if you would like to visit her blog. I have several other friends who have left her comments, and today she emailed me to let me know how much they mean to her.

Thank you for taking time to reach out to others….again, I am praying for you and for all of this to work out!

13. isabelle
    October 20, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

hi jen!

I will be praying for a fast recovery for all the family, and that you have a wonderful and safe relevant conference.

I’m happy you did this post, it will give me a chance to pray with someone as I almost always pray alone, almost none of my friends and family are believers.

My first request is for a friend Johanne, who the doctors predict will pass away anytime now form cancer. Please pray for her husband and for her 4 sons, especially for the youngest one, he is 14 and having a really hard time.

My second request is for myself. Please pray that God sends us a second child whenever he feels we are ready as a family. We have a wonderful and healthy 2 year old.

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

So glad to be praying along side of you, Isabelle. I will be praying for your friends and family for opportunities to share with them the hope that we have in Christ! I will be praying for your sweet friend, Johanne. I cannot imagine the road that she faces ahead. I will be praying for her faith to be encouraged and strengthened through these difficult days.
      I’ll also be praying for your family and it that God will give you the blessing of another life!

14. Carole
    October 20, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

I just found out today that my friend “TT” has been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. She has two small children, one in first grade and the other eleven months old. Thank you for being a prayer warrior! God bless your family.

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

Carole, I am far from a prayer warrior, but certainly need to pray for others more often and be in communication with Jesus! Praying for your sweet friend today. Appreciate your encouragement!

15. connie
    October 20, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

Pray for me as I try to balance life with a husband, 5 kids, 2 jobs, mentoring, kids and music ministry, among others. And for me to be able to say NO.:)

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Connie, I appreciate your honesty and your heart for others! Will be praying for you, this is an area I’m growing in currently and have much more to learn!

16. Lisa @ Simplified Saving
    October 21, 2010 at 12:33 am #

I am praying for you and your health! I really hope you’ll be able to make it to Relevant! I’d love to meet you. I really hoped I’d meet you at the Disney Social Media Moms event, but our paths never crossed.

Please pray for my husband as he balances the demands of life, work, and taking care of our daughters while I’m at Relevant. He is always willing to help, but I know that 6 days with teen and tween daughters could push you over the edge! 🙂

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Lisa – so thankful to finally meet YOU today! Praying for your husband as he juggles everything this weekend, and thankful that you can be here this weekend!

17. Tracy
    October 21, 2010 at 7:55 am #

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to let you know I think it is just lovely and your boys are adorable. Many blessings to you and your crew. Tracy

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Thank you so much, Tracy! Blessings back at ya! Hope you visit here often and look forward to getting to know you better!

18. Melissa
    October 21, 2010 at 10:04 am #

I have been reading your blog for quite a while, love the stuff you post. I have been praying for you guys a lot, and will continue to do so. I am dealing with the effects of my husband having an affair so I would appreciate your prayers on that.
    Thank you!

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

Melissa, my stomach honestly hurts just imagining what you have walked through… You are in on my heart and in my prayers. Thank you for praying for our family – what a precious blessing1

19. Pol
    October 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Please pray for this family – the elder daughter, Beth, in in my daughter’s class at school.

The mother, Andrea, was killed in an awful accident yesterday morning.

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

So heartbreaking. Praying for strength and the peace that passes understanding!

20. Laura
    October 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

Thank you for your willingness to pray. What a ministry. We have recently been given the diagnosis of infertility and were told the prognosis is poor. Please pray for a miracle. Please pray that God’s will would be carried out in our family and He would be glorified through this. Thank you!

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

Laura – my heart goes out to you as someone who has struggled with the diagnosis and prognosis of infertility. It is such a difficult journey, but God is and will continue to be faithful! I believe in miracles!

21. Kyndra
    October 22, 2010 at 12:04 am #

Pray for me..my best friend tried to commit suicide recently. She feels as if no one cares..its been really rough. I have been doing everything I can to carry that burden and its wearin me down. Pray for strength and peace.

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Kyndra – praying for your dear friend. I cannot imagine her desperation and despair. Praying that you have opportunities to bless and encourage her in a very real way.

22. Susan Bentley
    October 22, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

We are waiting to hear about a prmotion for Justin. We are also asking God for a sizeable raise as he has not had one in two years. Plus, with this possible promotion, we need to buy a second, gently used car sicne we have shared our Tahoe for 4 years (and I told God I didn’t want to share anymore sicne the kids are getting bigger).

God to “save” my Dad or bring him back in fellowship with Him. Dad shoudl find out CAT scan results for his liver today – praying for healing.

This is my silly personal, personal one – That God would show me the right color to paint our kicthen. A brown-green-gray color since the red-gold-brown colors I choose are not “it” (as per the Sherwin Williams guy). SW is replacing all of our paint since it does not match teh sample paint – they came to our home to see the color – and gave suggestions to achieve the look I want. Praise God for that! I don’t tell anyone this, but I want our home to be inviting because I know God wants to use our home for Bible study or something soon.

23. Suzanne
    October 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Jen, you are an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing your prayers with all of us. This month has been so challenging. I lost my dear mother last month and just when I thought that was the worst thing to happen to someone, a dear friend lost her 36 year old daughter; a week later my two best friends both received bad news – a 28 year daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor; and a 32 year old daughter has breast cancer. Please pray for healing for these two young girls and for faith, peace and comfort for all the mothers. God loves you Jen and so do I.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Relevant or Irrelevant? Yet to Be Determined... #Relevant10 -- Topsy.com - October 20, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by 4tunate, 4tunate. 4tunate said: Relevant or Irrelevant? Yet to Be Determined… #Relevant10 http://bit.ly/cVcVj6 […]