The Sweet Spot.

the sweet spot age

We’re just 2 weeks away from celebrating their sixth year. That sounds like such a big grown-up number, so far away from the preemie 3 pound bundles.  It’s around this time that the sentimental cloud returns – I start reliving memories of my month in the hospital prior to their birth, remembering people who were such an encouragement along the way, and becoming overwhelmed with the magnitude that they are still miraculously here and healthy.

We’ve hit such a sweet spot in life.

They can still fit on my lap.

They love to be read to.

They can do so many things on their own, but they still need their mama.

They can play independently and play well with each other more often than not.

They sleep at least 10 hours.

They think I’m a good “cooker”.

They are teachable, yet teach me so much.

They still say things that make me roll with laughter.

They can sing their hearts out without inhibition.

They laugh at my jokes at least 1/2 of the time.

They still think I’m beautiful.

They love being daddy’s boys.

They are quick to forgive.

Perhaps this is just the beginning of the sixes???  Regardless, I’m basking in this sweet spot, and reminding myself how good it is amidst the daily struggles. Perhaps a rough stage is just around the corner, but thank God there are some breaks in between, where we can gain perspective and regain strength for whatever lies ahead.

Thankful for these final sweet days of the fives and the four boys that make my life so full.

12 Responses to “The Sweet Spot.”

1. Courtney
    January 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

:) And what a great picture or the 4 of them playing peacefully together.

• QuatroMama
      January 22, 2013 at 11:02 am #

It’s not always that picture perfect! ;)

• Courtney
        January 22, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

I’m sure it’s not! But you always make it look so good! lol I’m sure you definitely treasure these moments.

2. Rebecca
    January 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

I love this post! My twin girls just turned 5 and many times this past year waves of love and gratitude have washed over me. I’m encouraged to hear they still come at the six year mark. I feel like I could keep them at 4 or 5 forever and be blissfully happy. It is such a blessing to be the mother of happy, healthy, mostly sweet, and wonderful children. I give thanks everyday. There were many points during our 9 year wait to be parents that I thought it might not happen in this life. Motherhood fills my life with joy (in this moment & many others)!

• QuatroMama
      January 22, 2013 at 11:02 am #

I share so many of your sentiments, Rebecca! So thankful for LIFE!

3. Leah
    January 21, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

No, six is wonderful!
    Leah recently posted.. Jacob’s Mad Skilz

• QuatroMama
      January 22, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Thanks for the confirmation. Pshew! =)

4. Crystal
    January 21, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

I totally know what you mean. Jack is in the same stage, and I love it! And in a few weeks we should be seeing their magazine spread!
    Crystal recently posted.. 10 Books to Read in 2013

• QuatroMama
      January 22, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Glad to hear that we’re in this “sweet spot” together! =) Excited to see!

5. Lyndse
    January 22, 2013 at 11:19 am #

Love the post! Graham is three…and I know this um, tough, stage is a season. Happy Early Birthday to the cutest quadruplets I know.
    Lyndse recently posted.. Exciting News!

6. Cathy Willman
    January 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

6 is a Good Year. I really enjoyed 6. Sounds like they’re off to a great start for it.
    Cathy Willman recently posted.. Doctors Doctors Everywhere

January 23, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Our twins are now 6 and our youngest just turned 4. We definitely have our challenges still but its great seeing them play so well together, show some independence but still be sweet with us (most of the time! ;-) Enjoy!
    Barbara Manatee recently posted.. Way Back When-esday