Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys {Day 17}: Camping in the Great Outdoors

Day 17 Go Camping in the Great Outdoors Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys

Go Camping In the Great Outdoors…

Supplies:

camping outdoors with kids great outdoor adventures for kids

There is something so beautiful about spending a night or two under the stars camping.  Perhaps it’s the yummy food over the fire, or letting my boys get dirty with reckless abandon, or the lure of the warm fire, or just being away from the distractions of life.  Or quite possibly it’s the s’mores.

I NEVER thought I would enjoy camping.  I went with a kicking and screaming attitude, and came home with a deeper appreciation for the great outdoors.

I think most of my positive experience was a result of realistic expectations for camping with kids. I knew it would involve dirt.  I knew it would involve a lot of packing.  I knew that there would be work involved.  However, I was assured that once we were settled,  it would be a great family experience. And it has been.

If you are new to camping the backyard is a PERFECT place to start…if you’re looking for a little more adventure try a well-known campground in your area and camp via tent or camper.  I’m a “camping snob” – I sleep in a camper on a “bed” with a “roof” over my head.  I also like campgrounds with showers and super clean restrooms. {And all the camping purest roll their eyes!}

It doesn’t have to be primitive to be camping!

camping with kids outdoor adventures.jpg

Helpful Tips/Resources:

* Be prepared for all sorts of weather, and be as relaxed as possible are my two biggest tips for an enjoyable camping experience.

* Go over safety procedures/expectations with your kids.

Have you tried camping in the great outdoors?

10 Responses to “Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys {Day 17}: Camping in the Great Outdoors”

1. Lisa~
    October 17, 2012 at 11:32 am #

I don’t camp. But I like the backyard idea. I could let the boys have a night out and I could just bring them food and water from the house. 😉 Lisa~
    Lisa~ recently posted.. Me and John Denver

• QuatroMama
      October 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Ummmmm, yes. Lock the back door, put your feet up. =)

2. Amanda Padgett
    October 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

My kids would love to go camping, but both my husband and I drag our feet about it. Your post was very encouraging, though, and I think it’s something I’ll give more thought to now.
    Amanda Padgett recently posted.. Photoshop Elements 11 Giveaway

• QuatroMama
      October 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Go for it! Trust me, the simplicity and the fresh air is sooooo worth it! Let me know how it goes and if I can help with any more tips!

3. Janice
    October 17, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

My son is 29 now and loves the outdoors – hiking, backpacking, camping. He even recently bought a river raft. Our family started camping when he was 8 or 9. Once, I even took him, 2 golden retrievers and a tent in my Honda Accord all by ourselves. Hubby was working. I’m so glad I made the effort. The memories!

• QuatroMama
      October 18, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Janice – hats off, Woman! What awesome memories you must have made for your family! Thanks for sharing!

4. Kim
    October 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

We haven’t camped outside yet because of my baby but we do put a tent up in our playroom on weekends. The boys love that with there flashlights and sleeping in the tent. We try to make s’mores for dessert too. Great Post!!!

5. hsmominmo
    October 19, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Perfect timing! I enjoyed your tips and links. We are planning a fall camping trip. Our children have loved camping since they were very young. Now that they are getting bigger, it’s much easier on Mom. We take along a tent for ‘the guys’ and Mom (and whoever wants to join her) gets the luxury suite (aka, pop-up camper).
    hsmominmo recently posted.. May I Have Your Attention Please . . .

• QuatroMama
      October 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Perfect scenario! =) I love semi-pampered camping!