Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys {Day 11}: Climb a Tree

Day 11 Climb A Tree Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys

Go Climb a Tree…

Supplies:

• Shoes (sandals were not a wise choice)
  • A Good Climbing Tree
  • Pants

Climbing trees is a right of passage for boys.  However, there is some technique to the sport. You first want to find a sturdy tree that will support your child’s weight.  Find a tree with branches that are close together, strong, and begin close enough to the ground to reach.

climbing trees as kids outdoor adventures

Helpful Tips/Resources:

* Hooking your arms and using your legs for power is a great technique.

* A tree branch should be thicker than your arm to hold your weight.

* Remember whatever goes up must come down!

Do You Let Your Children Climb Trees?

9 Responses to “Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys {Day 11}: Climb a Tree”

1. Crystal
    October 11, 2012 at 10:43 am #

I swear you’re covering everything I used to do as a child. What does that say about my femininity? 😉

• QuatroMama
      October 12, 2012 at 11:31 am #

It tells me that you probably embrace the dirt and adventure better than me…which makes you a great mama. =)

2. Kathy W.
    October 11, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Other than the sap, large white pine trees are the best.
    I spent a lot of time 30′ up when I visited my grandma’s house.
    My kids have also spent a lot of time up in the white pine tree near our driveway.

3. Laura@peacebutnotquiet
    October 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

We ended up having to nail a few pieces of wood for a ladder onto our backyard tree — it was safer than the kids pulling the plastic slide over and piling bricks on top to get to the bottom branch!
    Laura@peacebutnotquiet recently posted.. {Baby Stuff} Day 10: Recipe — Chicken Noodle Soup

4. Angie S.
    October 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

Of course we let our kids climb trees! If you’re in the Indy area, there’s a great climbing tree in Holliday Park right in the center of the playground. There are some good ones on the grounds of the IMA, too.
    Angie S. recently posted.. The Idle Parent: Down With Forced Family Fun!

• QuatroMama
      October 12, 2012 at 11:30 am #

I KNEW you would know some good ones…this tree was at Holiday Park =)

5. Wanda
    October 24, 2012 at 10:16 am #

My kids *love* climbing trees!

We currently bribe them to participate in worship each Sunday by saying they can climb the trees after church is we see them singing. (Hubby and I are both on stage and can’t poke them in the middle of a song. This is the next best thing.)

My six year old has rigged a skipping-rope-pulley in our back yard so that he can get himself up into the tall maple in our back yard. I love his adventurous spirit!