65 Favorite Read-Aloud Books for Boys: Reader’s Choice

65 Read-Aloud Books for Boys

I asked for you to share your favorite read aloud books for boys and you delivered!  Do you know how excited I am to dig into these pages with my four little dudes? I knew I asked the right source!  Thank you, Friends!  I decided to compile a list with all 65 of our favorites!

1. Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

35. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

36. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

37. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

38. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

39. Holes by Louis Sachar

40. King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone

41. Emils Pranks Emil Lonnebergaby Astrid Lindgren (recommended from Sweden)

42. The Bunnicula Series by Deborah Howe

60. Old Yeller by Fred Gipson

61. The Prince’s Poison Cup by R.C. Sproll

62. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

63. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

64. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery

65. The Tale of Three Trees: A Traditional Folktale

Did I miss any of YOUR favorite boy books?  Let’s keep the list growing!!!!

{Links to Amazon Affiliates used in this post. }

224 Responses to “65 Favorite Read-Aloud Books for Boys: Reader’s Choice”

1. Holly
    August 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

My husband teaches first grade and all of his kids, boys especially, loved reading the Hatchet and the others in that series. They also loved the Redwall series of books.

• laurie
      August 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Great list! I agree, Hatchet is a good one.

2. Mary Josephine
    September 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

The Barn by Avi….they can’t get enough!

3. deann
    September 25, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

My boys and I loved the book, The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow. Awesome, awesome!! Very suspenseful, and creatively written.

4. Alison
    September 26, 2012 at 1:16 am #

We are enjoying the Judy Moody series. We love her brother Stink’s series, too. They crack us up. Next we will try Junie B Jones. We tried Henry and Ribsy when my son was too young, but I know he would love it now.

5. Jean
    October 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

My Father’s Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, and The Dragons of Blueland are excellent books for boys that girls enjoy as well.
    Jean recently posted.. Simple Outdoor Adventures for Boys {Day 5}: Nature Scavenger Hunt – Free Printable

6. Kristen Huntington
    October 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Danny the Champion of the World
    By Roald Dahl

wonderful book

• Cate
      January 8, 2014 at 2:01 am #

Yes! And “The Twits” by Roald Dahl. Excellent.

7. Andrea
    October 14, 2012 at 11:43 am #

I teach sixth grade and the boys in my class love the Percy Jackson books.
    Enders Game is another great one!

8. Alison
    October 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

The Great Brain Series! Loved those books!

9. Heidi
    November 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

I second “The Great Brain” books.

10. Amy
    November 4, 2012 at 9:48 am #

My son, when in 3rd grade, and my former fifth grade students loved Peter and the Starcatchers series.

• Janell
      November 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

My boys loved Ralph Moody’s Little Britches.

11. Cindy Lund
    November 25, 2012 at 11:42 am #

For your book list: (my absolute favorite) Owls in the Family by Farley Mowatt

• Emily
      November 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

My kids love Owls in the Family too!

12. Andrea
    November 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Any tips for reading to small boys. I have 4 under 5, so trying to read to them is like trying to brush your teeth while you are still eating.

• amy
      January 4, 2013 at 1:30 am #

That’s funny, Andrea! Have you tried audiobooks? My son loves to listen to books, and has from a young age. His dad is the same way. I, however, must have print in hand! Anyways, the library offers both audiobooks on CD as well as books accompanied by cassette tapes (& CDs, I believe).

13. LuAnn Braley
    January 4, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

Pinned the pic so I could refer back to this great list!
    LuAnn Braley recently posted.. Learning My Own Strength

14. Samantha
    January 19, 2013 at 9:34 pm #

You forgot I Am David by Anne Holm :) Awesome novel any child would love.

15. alison
    January 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

Peter pan! Also the precious memories collection.

16. Marianne
    February 6, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

My son loves the Geronimo Stilton series

17. Marianne
    February 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

Ooooh. I remembered another favorite: Bud not Buddy! Make sure to put an inflection in your voice when reading it. It really makes it fun and brings it to life. Bud is looking for his father, whom he thinks might be the leader of a popular jazz band.

18. Corey Z.
    February 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

The Wingfeather Series by Christian author/singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson. I read these books to my 3rd grade class and they loved it! The 4th and final book in the series is due later this year, I hope! The first book is called On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness.

19. Carolyn P
    March 20, 2013 at 2:06 am #

The ‘Little Tim’ series by Edward Ardizzone – my brother loved these books about a little boy who goes to sea, then my daughters, and now I’m reading them to my grandson.

20. Bobette Stanbridge
    April 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Check out the Bunky books @ bunkybooks.com and thebobetteartco.com.
    Great positive affirming books with fun adventures and beautiful illustrations.

21. Laura
    April 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Charlie and the chocolate factory!

22. Wendi
    May 11, 2013 at 1:18 am #

My son liked”Alexander and the terrible horrible no good very bad day!” It made him feel like we all have bad days but there’s always tomorrow.

23. Heather
    May 12, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

I cant believe The Boxcar Children didnt make the list!

24. Carol
    May 24, 2013 at 10:55 am #

My older son loved
    the Narnia Chronicles. The other son’s absolute favorites were The Diggingest Dog form ages 3 to 6 and How To Eat Fried Worms at about 8. Both loved the
    Harry Potter series and wanted to know what was happening so badly that they each began reading them independently. My first grader boys always liked Captain Underpants. There are so many good books and so many different
    interests for each child that the library should be your best friend. Then when you find special one you can buy it.

25. Brandi K
    June 10, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

I just read Inkheart to my boys (5 & 7) and they were hanging on every word!

26. Seann
    August 3, 2013 at 10:42 am #

I saw two Dahl entries, but I would also like to add Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Magic Finger to the list. Any Dahl is a hit with children! I teach third grade, and my students last year loved those books.

27. Penny
    December 2, 2013 at 2:55 am #

How is My Side of the Mountain not on the list?
    And:
    Owls in the Family
    Where the Red Fern Grows.
    Old Yeller.
    The Incredible Journey.
    Gentle Ben

28. Emilyanne
    December 11, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls

29. Christina
    February 21, 2014 at 5:15 am #

My husband insists that the Boxcar children series must be on the lis and we hope to read to our son someday

30. Stephanie
    May 20, 2014 at 4:57 pm #

Books not mentioned that I have read with my 9 year old son in the last year – The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander (this reads more upper grade school to me), Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene Du Bois and we just finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Great Illustrated Classics edition). The last one he finished under the covers with a flashlight because he couldn’t wait to find out how it ended =)

31. sl
    June 12, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

The Box Car Kids were a favorite of my kids around 2nd grade. So many adventures!

32. Lorna
    June 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Where the Red Fern Grows – I read this book aloud to my 13 year old girl, 10 year old boy, and 6 year old girl. They were so in love with the story that we ended up with a rescue dog shortly after we finished the book!

33. Jennifer
    June 22, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Hank Zippzer series written by Henry Winkler akaThe Fonz!

34. Laverne Baldwin
    October 2, 2014 at 12:17 am #

The Dragon Keepers series: Dragon in the sock Drawer, dragon in the driveway, dragon in the library.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Newsday Tuesday « Books and Bowel Movements - May 15, 2012

[...] 65 Read-Aloud Books for Boys @ 4 Tunate [...]

2. Our Homeschool Week in Review - June 1, 2012

[...] Freebies Favorite Read Aloud Books for Boys Free online history games Geography, State [...]

3. Book lists, Chart ideas, and Tips to get your child reading. | Hall of Fame Moms | Ohio Blog - July 3, 2012

[...] http://www.4tunate.net/2012/05/65-favorite-read-aloud-books-for-boys-readers-choice/ [...]

4. Book Lists, How I love Thee! - February 6, 2013

[...] Oh, and two other lists to peruse: Character Building Books and 65 Read Alouds [...]

5. 3 Great Books for Boys | Learning is Messy - September 11, 2013

[...] like to share with you.  First and foremost the list that inspired much of this reading is in this post from 4tunate.   If you have boys and you are stumped at what to pick up next for them to read, [...]

6. B is for Books - The Ultimate List of Book Lists {The ABCs of Homeschooling} - My Joy-Filled Life - March 20, 2014

[...] 65 Favorite Read Aloud Books for Boys [...]

7. Read-Aloud Revival :: Books for Boys - April 5, 2014

[...] -65 Favorite Read-Aloud Books for Boys :: 4Tunate [...]

8. Class Ten: What's Next? - Playdough To Plato - April 30, 2014

[...] 65 Favorite Read Aloud Books for Boys {4Tunate} [...]

9. Week 10 of the Mom Challenge - How to raise readers - It's A Fabulous Life - May 3, 2014

[...] book list inspiration?  Check out these links: iMom has the ultimate book list seperated by age! 4tunate has 65 must read books for boys    The Iowa Farmer’s wife wrote this awesome list of 60 ways to make reading fun. Some [...]

10. The Ultimate Round Up of the BEST Books for Kids — Just Jilly - May 20, 2014

[...] 65 Favorite Read-Aloud Books: Reader’s Choice [...]