How to Make a Simple Smoothie

recipe banana berry smoothie yogurt

Pin It

Smoothies are pretty much fool proof nutrition at our house.  They are easy to make, and healthy additions like flax seed, spinach, or carrots pretty much go unnoticed.

I also love them because you can use what you have on hand.  I very rarely use a recipe for smoothies, but some people seem intimidated by them, so I’ll show you today through this recipe just how easy they can be!

{This recipe makes about 6 servings, so feel free to reduce the ingredients if you are making it for fewer “slurpers”!}

Here’s How to Make a Simple Smoothie

1. Scoop about 1 quart of your favorite yogurt into the blender.

2. If you are adding frozen fruit, you probably do not need to add ice, but if you have fresh fruit only add a small handful of ice.

3. Blend the yogurt and the ice until the ice is finer and distributed through the yogurt.

4. Add your favorite veggie and fruits. Again, use what you have on hand. My favorite additions are spinach, frozen pineapple, banana, frozen/fresh berries, and carrots .

5. Add a splash of juice if you need to thin it or add a little sweetness. {Optional}

6. Blend until “smooth”.

In case you need even more “structure”, here is our favorite Banana Berry Smoothie recipe: {Pictured Above}

What is YOUR favorite smoothie flavor?

9 Responses to “How to Make a Simple Smoothie”

1. Kathy Cunningham
    March 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

I just made a real winner the other night! Whenever my bananas get pretty brown, I put them in the freezer. So I pulled out two frozen bananas, juiced a whole container of blackberries, blue berries and strawberries (I can’t remember, I might’ve just blended the strawberries). Then popped them all in the blender, along with a cap full of non-alcoholic vanilla. YUM!

tip: When peeling the frozen bananas, I run them under warm water (helps thaw the peel and your hands will thank you as well) and use a knife peeling downward, just as if I was peeling the banana by hand.

• QuatroMama
      March 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

That’s a GREAT tip on peeling frozen bananas, Kathy! I’ve nearly lost fingers from peeling them frozen!
      Also that recipe sounds wonderful too!

• Helicopter Gramma
      March 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Try peeling your bananas and slice the banas in 1/2 ” slices put in zip top bag. Then you can pull out as many pieces as you want. They do just fine and it makes them easier to use.

• Shawn
      July 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I peel my bananas before I freeze them.
      Use soy milk chocolate or vanilla. 1 cup
      1 cup frozen berries
      1/2 yogurt (optional)
      1/2 banana
      Handful spinach
      Tea spoon flex seed
      Protein power(optional)

2. Elyse
    March 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Yummy! Your picture looks amazing right now. So glad you mentioned smoothies. I love them in the spring/summer! :)
    Elyse recently posted.. I am THAT driver

3. Cathy Willman
    March 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

We got a magic bullet last year, and I was making daily smoothies with strawberries, bananas, and baby spinach. There’s something magical about those ingredients that completely hide the spinach flavor. Even my tremendously picky kids would eat it.
    Cathy Willman recently posted.. Mine

4. Charmagn
    March 14, 2012 at 3:22 am #

Oh my gosh…this makes me hungry and crave for smoothies…Can you give me one right now?LOL
    Charmagn recently posted.. livia condo

5. Amee (Inspired-Housewife)
    March 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Found you via Pinterest I am one of those mamas who is scared of the smoothie, but this looks doable! Wow a mama to 4 I am mama to three, but not all the same age. Look forward to reading your blog! Amee

6. Erum
    March 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Wow, looks delicious :) It’s pretty much how I make my banana and berry smoothie with the exception of adding pineapple. I have also tried substituting berries and bananas with (frozen) peaches, mangoes, pineapple and few strawberries and keeping rest of the ingredients same and that turns out super good too.