The Hugging Punishment

The spanking debate is so 2011. Hugging is new school.

When you’ve had all you can handle with arguing, bickering, and fighting between brothers – make them HUG.

It might seem controversial. Perhaps a tad cruel and unusual to some, highly affective, nonetheless. Hugging for harmony.

Bet you’ve never seen THAT in a parenting book or magazine, eh?

23 Responses to “The Hugging Punishment”

1. Heather
    December 16, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Jen, you’re a genius! Neil and I joke that when our kids want to fight with us, we’ll make them do it while we’re hugging. Only makes sense that we’ll have our boys hug each other as well! Love it.

2. Wiley
    December 16, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Any rules on the type, style or duration of the hug?

I think this is a brilliant idea!

3. Janet
    December 16, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Love this! What a great idea!
    Janet recently posted.. CRAFT TIME…

4. Crystal
    December 16, 2011 at 10:59 am #

That’s funny — my husband and I have a rule where we have to hug when we’re arguing! :-)

5. Dawn
    December 16, 2011 at 11:22 am #

That is brilliant! Out of desperation one time, my friend tied her sons together by a wrist and made them have to cooperate all day long. They were 10 & 12 and it was very effective! I love this for young kids. :) They survived! Hehe

6. Erica Mueller
    December 16, 2011 at 11:40 am #

So so funny!! You are a genius!!
    Erica Mueller recently posted.. How to customize the Read More or more-tag in WordPress

7. Cindy
    December 16, 2011 at 11:47 am #

I always did that with my three children also…now they do it with all the grandchildren!

8. Allyson
    December 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Love it Jen!! :) You are a genius!! :) Will be keeping this in mind!

9. Mandy
    December 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

So funny!! We have done the same thing with our two younger kiddos though – it works quite well! 😉
    Mandy recently posted.. Paper Bag Christmas Fun

10. megryansmom
    December 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

I actually used to make my kids sit cross legged on the floor facing each other and saying nice things about each other when they would fight.

11. Megan
    December 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

We do this too, or make them sit beside each other and hold hands.

12. connie ashenfelter
    December 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

That is AWESOME! I make my kids hold hands and stare into each others eyes and compliment each other until the timer goes off…when your 5 yr old tells his 8 yr old sister her eyes are beautiful…well, they can’t help but make up.:)

13. Sarah
    December 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

This just made my entire weekend! What a good punishment system. :) Happy weekending!

14. Lennis
    December 16, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

We used to make our kid hold hands! There were times they held hands at church, or even at the mall. They quickly became friends to figure out how they could hide this “horrible punishment” from the rest of the world.

15. Carey
    December 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Love it! My mom used to maked us sit on the couch and hold hands. We used to sit as far apart as we could while still touching hands. Oh the memories!

16. Stacy
    December 17, 2011 at 9:27 am #

I LOVE IT!!! That was awesome ::)

17. Leigh
    December 17, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Awesome Jen! I can’t wait to try this in our home!!

18. Erin
    December 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Love it! We did this with our boys quite a bit when they were younger, except we made them finish with a kiss on the cheek too ha ha! We revive it every once in a while now (they are 6 and 8 now). I’m sure it teaches them something, since it’s definitely the last thing they want to be doing :)

19. Kelly Wann
    December 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

We have been using this form of “punishment” for years. My kiddos are 13, 10 & 8 and when they fight, I make them hold hands and pray for one another. This has progressed over the years and sometimes I takes on different forms i.e. sometimes I make them sing and sometimes I make them say “I love you” or chant “We are team Wann”. The result is always the same…giggles and hugs and sincere apologies.

20. Harley Mom
    December 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

I may have to try this at home!!!

21. Jennifer
    December 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

My 22 year old son still thinks this is the WORST discipline! But then…he has 3 younger sisters. :) It was worse than sitting facing one another indian style, or having to read a book of HER choice (she had to do the same in return), or even having to do a project with a sister while having their wrists tied together with a bandana. He hated doing the compliments thing too. But they all work…and we use it these days with our little guys. It was some of the best advice I ever got from a very wise older lady (like 70 years old!) at church when my son was about 2. She said her mother made HER do it when she was little, and she used it effectively with her children.

22. jan
    December 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

I did this with my kids, when they were little, who are now in their 20’s – creative punishment was my motto – they were hugging and crying……”just spank us!” I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard!

23. Cor