What Books Would You Suggest for Someone Recovering from Surgery?

Hardcover book gutter and pages

Photo Credit

I’m just now reaching the point that I can focus on something for a short time without falling asleep.  This recovering from a major surgery thing is EXHAUSTING!

I’d love to take advantage of this rare opportunity to read, but I need suggestions!

My criteria: No science fiction, No Cheesy Romance, Non Vulgar

What books would YOU suggest for someone recovering from surgery?

signature_thumb7

60 Responses to “What Books Would You Suggest for Someone Recovering from Surgery?”

1. Jill
    June 5, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Her Mother’s Hope–Francine Rivers (it’s book #1 in a two part series)…AWESOME
    The Help is great…just finished it. Kind of tough to get through the first little bit, but then it gets really good.
    Francine Rivers series “A Lineage of Grace”…5 little novellas about the women in the lineage of Jesus…awesome books!
    Karen Kingsbury is always a good choice too!

Glad to hear you’re recovering well…we’ll keep praying for you!

2. Carrie
    June 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Hey Jen! I hope recovery is going well and that all of your guys are handling having you out of commission well! Lord bless that great husband of yours! Here are my suggestions for reading!

My favorite fun fiction series is the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. They are fun little detective stories that don’t take a lot of mental energy but are very well written. There’s something like 10 in the series. (HBO also did a mini-series of some of the stories that was fun to watch. My hubby even enjoyed them!)

If you’ve never read “East of Eden” by John Steinbeck, you should! 🙂

“The Poisonwood Bible” by Barbra Kingsolver is great fiction.

A couple of non-fiction that aren’t exactly ‘light reading’ but are AMAZING-

“Grey is the Color of Hope” by Irina Ratushinskaya. She was in a women’s prison camp in Russia and this is her autobiography. SOOOOOO good!

“The Age of Kali” by William Dalrymple. This is like a travel-log written during his 10 years in India but blends in ancient and recent history of the region. Sounds a little boring when I put it like that, but it really is fascinating! (I read it while I was in India, so I might be a little biased!)

Some have suggested Crazy Love (which I think you blogged about reading, right?) I liked his book Forgotten God even more than Crazy Love. Talks about the Holy Spirit and is fantastic!

Happy reading and recovering!

3. Lori
    June 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Definitely recommend Heaven is for Real – especially with boys of your own – amazing quick read.

I also loved Mary Beth Chapman’s Choosing to See.

4. jessica
    June 6, 2011 at 7:25 am #

The Help – hands down awesome book. I saw someone else listed it as well. It is hard to get into, but is such an amazing book.

The Glass Castle and Half Broke horses – both true stores, both fast reads, both quite enjoyable

5. Terri
    June 6, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Karen Kingsbury is a fantastic Christian author. Her books are very easy to read, quick to finish, but always convey a very deep message. I download them onto my phone which is much easier to hold, works well in the dark, and then I can read texts if needed, and/or answer calls. When recovering from surgery, I would text when I needed something!
    I am praying for you, and hope your recovery is fast. You must be so excited to be rid of, hopefully, all of that pain!

6. Megan
    June 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

I saw some others recommend The Help and I, too, would recommend it. Also, Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I also just finished Laura Bush’s autobiography and really enjoyed it. I read Water for Elephants this springand loved that too.

Praying for a swift recovery!

7. mackenzie pankratz
    June 7, 2011 at 12:50 am #

Redeeming Love
    by Francine Rivers
    “In this splendid retelling of the biblical story of Hosea, bestselling author Francine Rivers pens a heartbreaking romance between a prostitute and the upright and kind farmer who marries her; the story also functions as a reminder of God’s unconditional love for his people.”….from amazon

good luck with the rest of your healing

8. HoundDogMom (Sherri)
    June 7, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Jen, hope things are going well for your recovery. I don’t know if you are in to reading any animal stories but the book A Dog’s Purpose is wonderful. I know you are most likely looking for some inspirational stories and stuff but if you want to break it up you might enjoy that one.

Take care and happing healing. 🙂