Prehistoric Rabbit Repellant for Gardens

Somehow Peter Rabbit snuck into our garden a few nights ago, even though we have a raised bed surrounded by chicken wire.  The little furry pest ate one entire row and a half of green beans, all of the cucumber plants but one, and trampled the peas.

I looked up a natural deterrent for rabbits while Brad and I were out the other night and found out that rabbits are skittish and can be temporarily scared off by a rubber snake.

We were lacking in the rubber snake department, but we had plenty of dinosaurs to spare, and believe it or not, they’ve done the trick!  They’ve guarded our garden quite nicely until Brad had an opportunity to put another layer of tinier holed chicken wire up.  They might have just earned their way out of the toy box for the summer.

P1000143c

P1000143c1  P1000143c2 P1000143c3

P1000147c

Take THAT, Rabbit.

QuatroSignature

16 Responses to “Prehistoric Rabbit Repellant for Gardens”

1. Stacy
    June 7, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Are you sure it's a rabbit?? I can't imagine a rabbit getting up into the garden and through the chicken wire! That is one desperate bunny if it is! Could it be an insect instead? I had buggy eat up all the leaves before – some kind of caterpillar.

Try planting lavender and catnip around the edges of your garden – maybe at ground level – or put them in pots around the garden – rabbits hate the smell of both!

2. Elizabeth @ TexasEbeth
    June 7, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Now that is funny, cute & creative. I would have never guessed dinosaurs would scare away rabbits.

3. Elizabeth @ TexasEbeth
    June 7, 2010 at 8:54 am #

What a creative idea!

4. Emily H
    June 7, 2010 at 8:55 am #

Love it! I'm sure the boys got a kick out of it! 🙂 You should get the book Muncha, Muncha, Muncha to read to your boys- it's a great story and would go along well with your recent adventures! It's one of my favorites and my therapy kiddos always love it! Hope you garden is safe now!

5. Suzanne
    June 7, 2010 at 9:08 am #

freaking hilarious! LOVE the pics of the dinos guarding the garden. cracked me up. i bet the boys are getting a big kick outta that!

cuteness. hugs, girlfriend!
    suz

6. Rachel Richard
    June 7, 2010 at 9:54 am #

We had the same thing happen this year. All of my lettuce but one went missing and half of my peas. I'll have to try the snake or dinosaur thing. We lack snakes but have plenty of dinos laying around. 🙂

7. Kevin, Holly, Kari and Bryce
    June 7, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Too funny! Thanks for giving me a good laugh on a Monday morning!

8. Lacey
    June 7, 2010 at 11:01 am #

Rabbit repelent and most definitely adds to the overal awesomeness of your garden!

My family had to invest in rubber snakes years ago when a robin apparently fell in love with his reflection and would stand outside and peck at the window allllllll day long. The snakes did the trick and seeing the window surrounded by rubber snakes was hilarous. (But if one fell off and in to the grass look out! They were surprisingly realistic on first glance! lol)

9. MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs)
    June 7, 2010 at 11:15 am #

This is great…I love the dinosaurs' quotes! And I can imagine this helps keep your kiddos interested in the garden. 🙂

10. Katie @ Nap Time in Naptown
    June 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Oh my , that is hilarious! We might need to invest in some plastic snakes and dinosaurs for our garden because I don't think princesses and Barbies are intimidating. 🙂

11. Suzy
    June 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

Hysterical! Now *that's* thinking outside of the box … the garden box, that is. 🙂

June 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Genius! Glad you have such ferocious friends to guard your garden. The photo speech bubbles are priceless.

-Holly

13. Sonya
    June 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

I wish the dinosaurs could keep the slugs out of my plants! That would be much easier than the other stuff I'm trying!

June 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

ha! Love it! Glad they seem to be helping deter the bunnies.

15. Mandi @ It'scome2this
    June 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

LOVE it!! And w/a four year old that loves dinosaurs (not FOUR that love dinosaurs) I can totally appreciate that:)

16. Erin Powell
    June 9, 2010 at 1:33 am #

Rabbits left our peas alone, but CHOWED on our green beans too, and even went after some corn "sproutlings". I was MAD – "It's ON!", I said. Liquid fence is natural, and working for us, if your dinosaur magic doesn't last. It stinks though! Good luck!