“I Just Caught Fire, I Was As Hot As a Pistol”

2010-march-madnessMarch Madness. It’s the best television of the year (in my humble opinion).  I love the intensity, the upsets, the team spirit, and the inspiration.

My favorite basketball inspirational story has to be the story of Jason McElwain, an autistic basketball manager turned sensation.  I love not only the heart of this player, but the heart of his coach for giving him such an opportunity, and giving so many others hope with his act of kindness.

If you haven’t seen this video, it’s a must watch.

If you have seen it, it’s a must re-watch!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtU676jA_k]

You can count on me cheering on my Butler Bulldogs as they take on Murray St. in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament.  Let’s hope they are as “hot as a pistol” on Saturday afternoon!

bulldog

Feel free to use the comment section of this post to tell me who you’re cheering for.  It will be like our own little cheering section.

As long as the first comment reads, “Let’s Go Dawgs!”

29 Responses to ““I Just Caught Fire, I Was As Hot As a Pistol””

1. Amanda
    March 19, 2010 at 7:23 am #

I love that video. Thanks for posting it. I'm not a basketball fan, but I will always cheer for the home team…which is Butler! 🙂 Purdue is in there too but we like IU better. GO DAWGS!!!!

2. Jess B
    March 19, 2010 at 7:45 am #

I've never seen that, but I'm sitting here in tears. How awesome of the coach to take that chance. I love how they all rushed him after the last shot. Very cool!

3. Corcoran Crew
    March 19, 2010 at 8:18 am #

GO BUTLER!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR SATURDAY'S GAME!!!!!

CORCORAN CREW

4. Charity Donovan
    March 19, 2010 at 8:22 am #

That's incredible! I'm going to share it with my cousin & her autistic daughter! Just incredible!

5. Amy
    March 19, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Makes me cry every time! Go Dawgs!

6. AmazingGreis
    March 19, 2010 at 9:05 am #

Go Longhorns!! Oh, wait, they already LOST. I'm cheering for anyone that I have winning on my bracket and you're in luck because I have Butler beating Murray St. (yes I picked Murray St.!!!) Go DAWGS!!!

7. Emily H
    March 19, 2010 at 9:16 am #

Let's Go BU!!!
    Thanks for sharing the video–makes me cry every time I watch it! What a great story! 🙂

8. Beth
    March 19, 2010 at 10:04 am #

I had heard of that story, but not seen the video. When he hit that first 3 pointer and everyone cheered, tears started rolling. Great coach! Great team! Great story!

I am of course rooting for my alma mater UK Wildcats!!! C-A-T-S Cats! Cats! Cats!

9. Sara
    March 19, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Hail Purdue!!!
    Hopefully they will be playing on Sunday too!!

10. john cave osborne
    March 19, 2010 at 11:22 am #

i love that story. i'd seen it, but you can never see something like that too many times. i love the last line the reporter closes with.

as far as the tourney? i'm ALL VOL.
    GO TENNESSEE!

11. Stacia
    March 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

I love that video… I've seen it before, but like you said…a must rewatch!! My 6yr old daughter has Aspergers so things like that always get me, not to mention I'm 7 months pregnant…the tears are flowing 🙂 Have fun watching your basketball!!

March 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

since IU has let me down again this year, i've decided to support indiana teams…….so much for notre dame! booo! my husband and i are actually going to he purdue game today. i will only mildly cheer, wear some black, but not wear anything that says "purdue"! i'd definitely wear a butler shirt, though. wish they were playing out here!

Lindsay

March 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Hail, Purdue!

14. Goldylocks aka Erin
    March 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Yes…wonderful story. Jason is from the town neighboring mine and he really is a hero in these parts. He even wrote a book and had a book signing at the grocery story (Wegmans) that he worked at.

Truly inspiring!

15. Janet
    March 19, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

I will be rooting on Butler for sure! My Missouri roots have me cheering for Mizzou as well, but I'm not sure they can do it. I have faith!!

16. Marianne
    March 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I don't know who to root for… my dad went to Murray State, but my cousin's husband is the assistant coach for Butler. Decisions, decisions.

If you want to check out her life as a mother of three and a coach's wife, you can find them at theshrewscrew.blogspot.com

Happy Friday 🙂

Marianne

17. Tina
    March 19, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

A very inspirational video! I am now following your blog, please check mine out.

18. Linda Blackburn
    March 19, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

Ohio State!–Go Bucks!

19. Melissa
    March 19, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

I'm not a huge basketball fan, but my husband is. So I have to say it, for him… LET'S GO VOLS! Rocky Top!

Although, if UCLA was in it, we'd be all for the Bruins 🙂

20. Mandi @ It'scome2this
    March 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm #

I remember that video & totally loved it!!! And I think it's awesome how fired up you are about the "Madness" … I guess with a house full of boys, that's a good thing!!!

21. Mama Snyder
    March 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

As the mom of an autistic son – THANK YOU. I wish there were more stories like this one!

22. Drew's Mom
    March 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

THE Ohio State University! Let's Go Bucks! O-H! I-O!

23. Kara
    March 20, 2010 at 9:43 am #

Michigan state!!!!! Go spartans

March 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm #

What an inspiration the coach and jason and the whole crowd and team mates.

25. Molly
    March 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Glad you found us through Marianne! I love your blog.

So excited for the Sweet Sixteen! Keep cheering loudly. GO DAWGS!!

March 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm #

Hey! I don't know if its the same there in Indiana, but here in Alabama at the CVS, milk is $1.99 a gal! I thought of you when I saw the good deal~I know you purchase a lot probably each week! :)Sioby

27. Tera
    March 22, 2010 at 10:05 am #

Stumbled across your blog from Steece's Pieces. When I saw you were a Butler fan, I thought…hmm, she must be an IN girl too! 🙂 We love Butler as well…Graves boys are from my hometown. We especially enjoyed watching AJ play at Butler. Your boys are adorable!

28. Suz
    March 22, 2010 at 11:53 am #

We have to divide our loyalties in our house. Our friend, "Coach K", used to coach at Butler, but he's since moved to Ohio State. So…we find ourselves cheering for/against both teams! And of course, we have to cheer for any other team from Indiana (IU, Valpo, Purdue) because, jeez people, it's BASKETBALL!

March Madness reigns supreme at our house 🙂

29. mrs boo radley
    April 3, 2010 at 12:39 am #

Oh my goodness! What an amazing story. Brings tears to my eyes.