Overheard in the Odyssey

DSC_4498c

On our way to grab some dinner In the van the other night, we were talking to the boys about how God lives in heaven. We tried to explain a few things about heaven on their level. Here’s a snipit of the conversation that followed:

____________________________________________

Clark: I don’t wanna go to heaven.

Daddy: Oh yes you do, Buddy!

Clark: Not today! I wanna eat food.

____________________________________________

Brooks: Isaac, You love Jesus?

Isaac: Yeah.

Brooks: Brooks loves Jesus too!

____________________________________________

It brings so much joy to my heart to hear my children, even in their simplistic conversations talking about Jesus.  My prayer is that these conversations are only the beginning…

My son, keep my words and treasure up my commandment with you; keep my commandments and live;keep my teaching as the apple of your eye; bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.” Proverbs 7:1-3 (ESV)

18 Responses to “Overheard in the Odyssey”

1. Mountain Girl
    December 1, 2009 at 7:27 am #

That is precious!

2. Kristin
    December 1, 2009 at 8:11 am #

It is so wonderful to hear the faith of a child, isn't it? I love the discussions I have with my twins about heaven and Jesus! Thanks for sharing the conversations of your little guys!

3. Jenny B
    December 1, 2009 at 8:27 am #

beautiful:). we read Bible stories to our kids every night and they are always begging for more:) i love hearing them say "I love Jesus" too. So precious!

love you !
    Jenny B

4. Heidi
    December 1, 2009 at 9:22 am #

So sweet!

5. Heather B.
    December 1, 2009 at 9:28 am #

So wonderful to hear our little ones talk about Jesus!! Reassurance that we are doing something right!!!

6. Stacia
    December 1, 2009 at 10:11 am #

just precious!

7. Lauren
    December 1, 2009 at 10:49 am #

Yes – I'm always so glad to hear my 2 1/2 year old ask to "read about God" every night before bed! So precious!

December 1, 2009 at 11:32 am #

LOL! LOVE IT! How sweet! last night, my family and I were all eating dinner & we were talking about something very good that happend for all of us and I said "I'm praising the Lord" and my niece (Honor, 5) said "I am too!!" hahah little children are so sweet. Your post made me smile and laugh! You & Brad are definitely instilling God in your boy's lives! Sioby

9. Brianna
    December 1, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

Love this. Happy December!

Bri

10. Sarah
    December 1, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

sooo sweet to hear their little voices saying "Jesus" My 3 year old prays every night, "LORD (wourd) me no cry" bc he cries everynight at bedtime. LOL. Oh the simpliest of prayers that bring so much joy. 🙂

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

11. Lacey
    December 1, 2009 at 5:14 pm #

I don't want to go to heaven today! I want to stay here and eat! Sounds like the story of my life right there…lol Very cute.

12. Stephanie
    December 1, 2009 at 6:56 pm #

When I was a kid, I remember praying that God would delay Jesus' return until the end of summer vacation… but return the day before school started! It was the summer that I got to spend at my grandparent's place. To me, that was a little taste of heaven anyways!

13. Mommato2miracles
    December 1, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

My son Sam is three and EVERY time we have gone in the car lately we have a conversation that consists of "mommy why can't I see God? Mommy can we drive over to heaven so God can hold me? Is God over there? How about right there? Well why can't I see Him right now? "
    I love love hearing him talk about God, got any ideas on how to explain to him "where" God is and why we can't see him?

December 1, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

So sweet…I love Clark's comment about not wanting to go to Heaven but wanting to eat…;-)

We put up our Advent calendar this weekend. Its a fabric one and pictures the manger and the kids can put up an animal, star or Bible character each day. Sarah was asking me who/what each thing was yesterday and when she got to Baby Jesus, she asked to hold him. she then said "Can I hug him?" I said yes and then she said "I love him. Jesus is my friend."

Priceless!!

15. gilloth/Edina
    December 2, 2009 at 4:21 am #

No wonder He himself set children as an example of faith. I'm sure He values little ones' faith.

16. Kate
    December 2, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

Awwww! Those little boys are PRECIOUS I tell ya!

17. Sadia
    December 2, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

That's lovely. My daughters have the Resurrection and death confused. My daughter ran across a dead beetle and said, "He died so he has to go in a cave just like Jesus."

18. Ruth of fat loss for idiots
    December 3, 2009 at 6:36 pm #

I think one of the most important things parents do to their child is instilling the right values in their children. And you are doing exactly that.

Thanks for sharing it.