The Reason for the Giant Knot in My Stomach…

After surviving several rounds of cutbacks and layoffs over the past few months, Brad was let go from his job today. It’s disappointing, upsetting, nerve-racking, and extremely sad to say goodbye to a company that has cared for and accommodated our family, and to loose our only source of full-time income.  We know that we are not alone in this financial hardship, and many of you are facing or have faced similar or greater stress.  Our hearts and prayers are with you all tonight, as we pray our own future, and trust God more deeply.  We are thankful that He is intimately involved in the details of our lives, and our future is secure in Him.

Thank you, Brad, for being such a tremendous provider for our family.  You are such a diligent, respectable, and compassionate husband and father.  I’m by your side.  Always.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18  “Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.  For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.”

67 Responses to “The Reason for the Giant Knot in My Stomach…”

1. Bethany
    October 1, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

I'm so, so sorry. I lost my job this summer and I remember how devastated I was- and I only have myself to care for. Your family will be in my prayers!

October 1, 2009 at 9:40 pm #

I read your blog often and many others for inspiration and encouragement. My husband lost his job in April of this year, also our main source of income. My heart goes out to you. My prayers are with you. I pray for your family as I do mine that a better opportunity will come your way very soon.

3. Stephanie
    October 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

Praying so hard for you all. You have the strength and courage to get through this. When God closes one door, he always opens another!!

4. Heather
    October 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm #

Jen — I'm so sorry to hear this. My husband was laid off on Sept. 30 of last year. He spent an entire year working on finding another job. Thankfully, he got a job offer a week ago. We were able to see God's timing in the layoff (my SIL passed away 3 weeks after his layoff, and we spent the last 3 weeks of her life with one or the other of us sitting with her at least 12 hours a day), which made that easier.

We feel so blessed to have had so many people in our lives praying for his job search. I know you will have many praying for you guys.

5. Jocelyn
    October 1, 2009 at 10:57 pm #

Such sad news… but I have faith (as I know y'all do) that Brad will find something great ASAP.

My father and father-in-law both lost their jobs last year. Your family, and all those struggling in this economy, are in my prayers.

6. 4 Little Men and Girly Twins
    October 2, 2009 at 2:27 am #

I am so sorry! We are there too… it has been a very trying year. But God will watch over you and your beautiful family! He has an amazing plan in store for you!

Britt

7. Tyler and Whitney
    October 2, 2009 at 9:42 am #

This was in my devotions for today: "He Who made the ordered, beautiful world out of chaos, and set the stars in their courses, and made each plant to know its season, can He not bring out of your chaos peace and order?" Praying that you'll feel His presence in such a real way today.

8. Clair
    October 2, 2009 at 3:45 pm #

Praying for you! See you at ConsecO?

9. Kara
    October 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

pray…trust…timing…reason…
    hope…
    Do not worry about anything, instead pray about everything!
    Phillipians 4:6

10. Greg and Farrell Clark
    October 2, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

I'm so sorry – I will be praying for a quick and smooth transition to something else God has in store for Brad! May I share a verse with you? We are 25wks pg with #4 and after our routine u/s they called us in with the news that there was something wrong with our baby's heart. We had to wait two weeks to see a specialist and find out whether or not the baby was going to survive. I had written down this reference some months ago, and looked it up during those weeks and it kept me going:

"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. His mercies are new every morning – great is Your faithfulness!" Lam 3:21-23

I love how the writer has to 'call to mind' – it's not like he's standing there amidst the rubble of JErusalem jumping up and down with joy, sometimes we have to pull from way down deep inside ourselves and remind ourselves of the Lord's amazing love. May you feel it strongly today.

October 2, 2009 at 7:49 pm #

Keep the faith. He'll see you through.

12. The Carlsons
    October 3, 2009 at 1:53 am #

Jen, I am SO sorry to hear of Brad losing his job! This is the 6th person/friend's husband that we know of that lost a job in the last few months. That just royally stinks!

I am sure you all are in a frenzy, feeling the pressure now, worried, etc., etc. Please know that we are praying for you, Brad and your boys! I know God has bigger and better things for you and Brad! I leave you with this (perhaps you've already read it or others have given it to you already)…

Jeremiah 29:11-13 — For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Lots of hugs to you!!!!
    -fellow quad mom of 18mo GGGG and a 5yo boy

13. Kelly
    October 3, 2009 at 9:39 am #

Jen,
    I am sooo sorry. We are having tight times right now too and I can't imagine. Praying something just falls in his lap soon!

14. Lauren
    October 4, 2009 at 10:41 am #

Dang!!! Ah why does things like that happen to good people who need it the most? Well I will be hoping that brad can find something again SOON… he seems like a pretty smart cookie! Hang in there girl.

15. Twincerely,Olga
    October 5, 2009 at 8:22 pm #

I will be pray for your family!!

16. Danica
    October 6, 2009 at 8:31 pm #

I'm coming from Golfer Girls blog.

Sending thoughts and prayers.

17. Briana
    October 15, 2009 at 10:49 am #

So sorry to hear this Jen. 🙁 Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.