Kickin’ It Old School…

Last weekend we had the opportunity to join Brad’s family for a reunion in a small town in western Indiana.  Conveniently, the dinner was held at a park pavilion, which entertained the boys well into the night.

DSC_2908c

The boys kicked it old school on this 1950’s (or older) ride on, and proved it to be an “Oldie but Goodie”. Do you think they had quadruplets in mind when they designed this piece of equipment many decades ago?

(Side Note: Isaac had a bit of a leak on Gramma, so I had to change him into the “emergency outfit” that I keep in the car for such occasions. That’s why he doesn’t match the other boys attire. I don’t dress them alike often, but it seems like whenever I do, 1 ruins their outfit. Perhaps it’s an early revolt on identical dressing.)

Personally, I used to LOVE the merry-go-round, which paved the road for me to become a carnival ride enthusiast (back in the day). What was your favorite “old school”  playground activity?  What happens to be your kids favorite now?

PS Speaking of school, I’ll be sad to see a few friends summers come to a close.  A special thank you to Tami, Jamie, and Kara for your extra hands on a few adventures and loving on our boys on multiple occasions!  Our boys are blessed to have you in their lives!

13 Responses to “Kickin’ It Old School…”

1. Jamie
    August 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

my fav was this dome/igloo shaped monkey bar thingy. basically anything I could climb and hang upside down from. Now i'm a worry wort. Peyton and Paige swing too high, I freak out. They then jump out of the swings and I go inside. Pitiful. This new niece will probably have me a wreck from the moment she starts crawling!

2. Ben
    August 10, 2009 at 7:22 am #

I always loved the dome shaped climbing thing…you know the one that looks super dangerous!?! My boys favorite is by far the tire swing!! Not me…I get sick everytime!
    much love and blessings from ga~erin

August 10, 2009 at 8:34 am #

The swings were my favorite when I was a kid – could swing for hours! Now? not so much! LOL!

Right now, my two love anything they can climb/ride on that resembles a vehicle of some sort…especially trains!

4. crabapple
    August 10, 2009 at 10:28 am #

loved the swings. still do. and i also loved the maypole, that was until i was playing on with the kids and broke out my front tooth. doh!

my kid liked to climb on anything and we always enjoyed the teeter totters together. he's now getting ready to go to college :( i wonder when he has kids, what their favorite playground toy will be.

5. Juliana E.
    August 10, 2009 at 11:11 am #

I can relate to the dress them alike and one has a accident. It happened quite often with my triplets. We usually only dressed them alike on special outings and we always had to change someone into the emergency outfit!

6. The McNulty Family
    August 10, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Mur! I love that picture! How fun!

Love you.
    XOXO
    Gen

7. Kalle
    August 10, 2009 at 11:29 am #

I loved the merry-go round and kings court. Emmett is still too little for the playground but I can't wait to see what he favors.

8. Sarah
    August 10, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

What a cute picture of the boys!
    My favorite was the swings too…now I can barely sit on them without feeling queasy. :)

Luke's favorite thing at the playground are the swings too…the kid will swing for HOURS.

9. Suzanne
    August 10, 2009 at 7:52 pm #

PERFECT quad-contraption! love it. love you!
    suz

10. Lorri
    August 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

The slide was perfectly sized for little guys (and gals!) as well. : )

11. mominsanity
    August 11, 2009 at 6:24 am #

I wasn't born in the fifties (seventies for me – 79) and I remember these from the playground. I also remember the old school see/saws (AKA teeter totters), which you can never find around now either.

So much fun!

12. Jen
    August 11, 2009 at 8:50 am #

I found the Disney Blue paint color at Home Depot. But your picks are wonderful! Can't wait to see the end result.

13. Momma Such
    August 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

How cute! There is a local park not far from us that has one of these! The boys always think they are fun too! :)