I’m Taking My Quadruplets to BlogHer

blogherbutton

I hesitated to blog about our upcoming trip to BlogHer ’09 in Chicago, because when planning a trip with quads in tow, nothing is guaranteed.  However, it looks like we will be leaving later this week for a major Quadyssey!  Hopefully we can cram 4 pea pod tents into our downtown hotel, and won’t be kicked out due to a noise violation! (But I have hope after seeing how the Goerlich’s and Steece’s managed over the weekend with 8 toddlers in one hotel room!)

This has all come together last minute, because I won a ticket to BlogHer through a Ford giveaway. I’ve never went before, and have no idea what to expect. (Apparently it’s protocol to freak about before going, but I’m resisting.) I’m really looking forward to meeting many of you IRL (in real life) who will be in attendance. Please leave me a comment if you’ll be one of the 1500 bloggers headed to the Windy City – I’d love to arrange a time to meet!

One event that I’ve been asked to be a part of while there, is the Ford Drive and Ride, where I will be touring the plant, testing out vehicles, and participating in a round table to tell Ford what women want in a vehicle.

Here’s some things I look for a vehicle:

• Cargo Space
  • Plenty of Cup Holders
  • High Safety Ratings
  • Reliability
  • Accessory Holders
  • Easy Access to Passengers
  • Overall Value

So here’s your chance to influence the future of transportation.  Tell me what you want in a vehicle and I’ll be sure to pass it along in our discussion!

Back to packing for the whole crew!

27 Responses to “I’m Taking My Quadruplets to BlogHer”

1. AmazingGreis
    July 20, 2009 at 11:49 pm #

Wow, I guessed right in your last post, how exciting. I'll be in Chicago for Blogher, can not wait. So excited that you and the boys will be there as well. Hope to meet you all. I arrive Thursday morning. Have a safe trip.

2. Caitlin Murray Giles
    July 20, 2009 at 11:53 pm #

So I am bringing my six month-old with me to BlogHer and I thought that I was brave. Quads? You go, Mama!

3. Following HIM
    July 21, 2009 at 12:25 am #

DO A LITTLE DANCE MAMA…Henry, Issac, Clark, and Brooks will have a BLAST and will do great! Have a BLAST yourselves! Can't believe you are going to Blogher! Remember MckMama is going too!
    ~Elyse

Oh and I look for:
    ** Plenty of leg room
    ** Plenty of cargo room
    ** Safety measurements
    ** The BIG picture
    ** Reviews and good standing

4. tessa
    July 21, 2009 at 2:46 am #

Key for me is the drop down storage in back. It allows me to fit my triple jogging stroller and still see out the back window. Couldn't on our Chevy van and it's what sold me on my Odyssey. Have a great time!

5. Life as a Greenstreet
    July 21, 2009 at 5:46 am #

Sounds like it's going to be REALLY fun- I hope you enjoy.

What I want in a car is a third row seat without feeling like I'm driving a limo. I want good gas mileage, safety, tons of airbags and some safety seat anchors in the third row.

July 21, 2009 at 8:08 am #

leg room and comfort for the people who have to sit in the back. I have a ford, there are only two comfortable seats, driver and front passenger. It's a van, sometimes folks have to ride behind me!

July 21, 2009 at 8:20 am #

I'm convinced that one of these days a car manufacturer will find the perfect place for a purse. I never seem to have a good spot for it in any car I've ever driven.

8. Rachel
    July 21, 2009 at 8:30 am #

More air vents for all of the little passengers! Nothing is as sad a site to see that your kids are not cooling off when we get back into a hot car! Have a wonderful trip!

July 21, 2009 at 8:38 am #

Congrats and have fun! (and good luck!)

We bought a new mini-van last fall before our 3rd arrived and I love it. Our key things were cargo space, leg room (we're both 6' tall!) and safety was of the utmost importance! We also opted for the DVD player…haha!

July 21, 2009 at 9:07 am #

Since the boys are over 2 years old do you still need to have them in the tents. I would think that you would be able to put them on little mats on the floor.

11. Amy from Occupation: Mommy
    July 21, 2009 at 9:29 am #

I saw your tweet last night. So exciting that you will be able to go to BlogHer! I can't wait–I am getting in on Thursday afternoon.

We have an Odyssey, as well. We look for Safety first of all, but I absolutely LOVE our power doors. And a bunch of cupholders are nice, too.

See you this weekend!

July 21, 2009 at 10:21 am #

What is Blogher? What do you do there? Why would one want to go?

Thank you from someone who doesn't know much about blogging!

13. KSDallas
    July 21, 2009 at 10:29 am #

That sounds like an amazing trip. I hope you have a wonderful time!

As for the Fords. Well, I have always been a Ford truck/suv girl. The problem I have had with my Fords seems to be a common problem – the brakes!

I am actually looking at a Dodge for my next vehicle simply because of Ford's brake problems.

Anyway, have a safe trip and I can't wait to hear all about it!

14. Amy
    July 21, 2009 at 10:37 am #

Have a fun and safe trip with your beautiful family 🙂
    As a mother of 5 in car/booster seats I sure would like to have room to fit 3 car seats across the back of a van. If they could build a van to fit 6 young kids safely in the back without costing a fortune and getting 12 miles to the gallon we would buy it and then have a 6th child 🙂

15. Courtney
    July 21, 2009 at 10:51 am #

I also had a Ford Explorer with bad brakes. 🙁

Now, as a mom there are a few things I'm looking for (I don't drive a mini-v, so these may be things already found in one of those):
    -a place to put my purse!
    -what happened to the insulated back-seat consoles? I could really use that for sippy cups and bottles!
    -lots of vents for the little ones
    -I like for each and every seat to fold individually. It's great when you have to get creative with your space.
    -a slot just for my cell phone! I'm forever losing it!
    -a light over each back seat…for when one wants to sleep and one wants to read!
    -back seats that recline in an SUV.
    -an alarm that signals when a seat belt in the back has come undone 🙂

That's all I can think of for now. I guess the more features you get, the more you drive the price up anyway! …and then we can't afford it. 😉

16. Kimberly & Alex
    July 21, 2009 at 11:56 am #

sounds like an awesome trip, enjoy! and make a big influance on the future car industry.

July 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

Okay so my dream van would have a window that divided the driver from the back passengers. Like in a limo. Your children are fighting like crazy and you don't want to hear it so you push a button and the window comes up and you hear nothing. lol! I know this would not go well as a safety feature but like I said, it's a dream.
    What I love about our Odyssey is the storage in the floor for DVDs, books, crayons, etc.
    Cathy

18. Amy
    July 21, 2009 at 3:22 pm #

I'll be there! I will say it again…You are one BRAVE woman!

July 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm #

how about a pop up/hideaway toy bin (er…stuff holder) between the middle row seats.

Pop down sunglass holder for both people in front seat.

lots of organizational compartments

20. Julie
    July 21, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

I personally want to see:

1. 3rd door on those SUV's with 3rd row seats.

2. Teather on the floor or to seat in front of them options for rear facing convertible seats that can teather rear facing

21. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]
    July 21, 2009 at 8:15 pm #

Please stay calm so I can hyperventilate for you.

See you there!

22. Jen Wilson
    July 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

Oh wow! That's amazing and SO COOL that you're going! With quads!

My friend Angella (2 L's!) is going to the Ford event as well. You two have fun!

I hope to make it to BlogHer one day, but this year I'm going to live vicariously through those who ARE going. Enjoy!!

23. Kelly Trullinger
    July 21, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

Have a great time! I'll be excited to hear about what you've learned!

24. Ashley
    July 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm #

I've never left a comment but I follow your blog. I'll be in Chicago for BlogHer for Wiley Publishing. If you see my group, say hello! Always great to meet a fellow Indy resident and preemie parent.

25. The Gerwer Babies
    July 22, 2009 at 4:05 pm #

Sounds like an exciting trip. Have a fun!

26. Kim Moldofsky
    July 24, 2009 at 7:39 am #

A bunch of us drove by your crew when we were headed out last night. OMG, quads! We didn't know you're a BlogHer attendee. You go, mama. Hope to meet you today.

27. JACK
    July 29, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

Hope you all had a great trip to Chicago. And when you're back and get a few spare minutes, (if you ever do), I invite you to check out this short video — ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/5160 — about the aha moment experienced by a father of quadruplets and how it has changed his outlook on life. I'm sure you'll related. I also hope you'll check out the rest of the site, which was created by Mutual of Omaha to highlight good works, inspirational personal stories, and aha moments of all kinds.

Thanks,